The Redmi Note 4, Xiaomi’s most successful mid-range smart phone, can now be easily upgraded to run Android 8.0 Oreo by use of the unofficial Lineage OS 15 Rom. Android 8.0 was released only last month and is currently Google’s most up to date version of their mobile operating system.
Android 8.0 has already been made available for Pixel and Nexus phones and a lot of the top brands including Sony, Motorola and Asus have already officially confirmed that many of their devices will soon be receiving their Oreo upgrade. Xiaomi, however, uses its own custom made operating system, MIUI, rather relying than on Android for upgrades.
We are now able to offer Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 users the opportunity to decide whether they would prefer to use Xiaomi’s own operating system, MIUI, or change to Android 8.0 Oreo.
If you are already the owner of a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 and wish to have a go using Android’s most up to date operating system, then you have come to the right website. If you keep reading, you will find a complete guide on how to upgrade your Redmi Note 4 from MIUI to Android 8.0 Oreo by using the unofficial Lineage OS 15 ROM. This ROM is still undergoing development, so there may still be a few bugs in the software, however, these are still being worked on and there will be regular updates.
Now to get to the point of this article, the easy to follow tutorial that will quickly and efficiently have you enjoying Android 8.0 on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 4:
Before You Get Started:
- This process will only work with the Redmi Note 4. Do try with any other phone, including other Xiaomi models.
- Make sure your phone battery is charged to above 70%, as you do not want it to run out of power in the middle of the update.
- You WILL permanently lose all data from your phone so make sure that everything has been backed up before you begin.
- The ROM is still in its early Nougat alpha build phase and still has bugs and performance issues.
- Make sure that you have enabled USB debugging on your phone.
- TWRP recovery must already be installed on your device.
Disclaimer: Completing this process WILL void your company warranty. Xiaomi Advices will not be held responsible for any damage that is done to your device either after or during the flashing process. The upgrade is to be taken at your own risk.
Using the Lineage OS 15 ROM to update your Redmi Note 4 to Android 8.0 Oreo:
- Click on the links below to download the Lineage OS 15 ROM and the accompanying GApps and then save them to your phone.
- Switch off your phone and reboot in recovery mode.
- Just in case anything goes wrong during the process, use TWRP to create a Nandroid backup of all the data on your phone.
- Once the above steps have been done, you will need to do a complete factory reset. In order to do this, go to Wipe > Advanced Wipe > Select Wipe cache, Dalvik cache, System, and then data. Once this is done, swipe to confirm the reset.
- Next, click ‘Install’ and choose the Lineage 15 OS ROM file that you previously saved to your phone.
- Swipe, in order to begin the installation.
- Once the installation has completed, you will need to install GApps.
- When both installations are done, you will need to re-wipe your cache and Dalvik cache and reboot the phone.
- Congratulations! You have now completed the process and Android Oreo ROM should now be fully installed on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 4.
Please do remember to let us know how you got on with using the Lineage OS 15 ROM by leaving a message in the comments section below. Also, please feel free to share this information with your friends on whichever social media platform your use, so that they too have the possibility of enjoying using Android Oreo 8.0 on their Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 devices.