Normally you will need a rooted device and custom recovery like TWRP to install custom Android ROM. In term of Redmi 3, it means you will also need to firstly unlock your phone’s bootloader at first. We have posted several articles related to unlocking and rooting Redmi 3. For those who are too paranoid to root and install TWRP, there is still another way to install custom Android ROM. One member of MIUI forum called tieuphudoncui has managed to build custom ROM based on MIUI 7.1.3 which is flashable through MiFlash tool. On top of that, it can also be flashed on Redmi 3 device with locked bootloader.
Meet Swing ROM 7.1.3, a stable custom MIUI ROM for locked Redmi 3. Yes it is cool because it can be flashed on locked Redmi 3 without root and TWRP, but that’s not all. It still has few other awesomeness including multilanguage support, Chinese apps bloatware removed, and Google Apps (Gapps) included. Moreover, the popular iOS-like assistive touch app, MiPop, is included as one of built-in features.
1. Button settings:
- Long press navigation buttons to sleep, kill app, take screenshot, on/off torch,...
- Long press Home button on lock screen to open flashlight
2. Status bar settings:
- Tap or hold to sleep, kill app, take screenshot, on/off torch,...
- Double tap to sleep
- Show or hide media player
3. Call settings:
- Accept incoming calls by pressing the Home key (new)
- Flip to silence ring
- Flash when ringging
- Power button ends call
4. Other settings:
- Double tap home screen to sleep
- Unplug turns on screen
5. Added Mi-POP
6. And more..
- Official download link in Android File Host.
- Official discussion page at MIUI Forum.
- Mirror direct download link from our US based server is below :
File name :
Version 7.1.3 | 1150 downloads | 575 MB
How to install
- Download MiFlash tool v20160401 and install it onto your computer.
- Download Swing ROM .zip file from link above.
- Extract the Swing ROM .zip file using either Winzip or Winrar.
- Turn off your phone.
- Connect its USB cable to your computer but don’t connect it to your phone yet.
- Press Volume Up (+) and Volume Down (-) buttons at once and then connect it to the USB cable (so it will connect to computer). This will bring your Redmi 3 into Download mode (EDL).
- Launch up the MiFlash tool.
- Click on the Refresh button to make it recognize your phone.
- Click on Browse and locate the folder containing extracted ROM files.
- Finally click the Flash button to start installing the custom ROM.
- That’s it. Just wait till it finished and reboot.
Do you want MIUI7 that is Multilanguage (Global Stable) for locked Redmi 3? Swing ROM is the answer. It has no Chinese Bloatware, modded awesomely, and no root and TWRP needed. It doesn’t even required unlocking your phone.
Enjoy.. Tried it? What do you think?