The Xiaomi Mi 5, Mi 5s, and Mi 5s Plus, as well as the Redmi Note 4 and Mi Max 2, will be among the first of Xiaomi’s smartphones to get the MIUI 9 Global Stable ROM update. This update has rolled out over-the-air, so if you own one of these devices, you should look out for an update soon.
The Mi 5, Mi 5s, and Mi 5s Plus can now update to MIUI 9 Global Stable ROM. This update is about 535MB, so check your phone storage to see how much space is left before updating.
The current update is being rolled out in phases, which means some users will have to wait to see the update in their notification bars. If you have not received a notification about the update or you want to update your device as soon as possible, you can manually check for an update on your phone. Simply do the following: go to Settings > select About Phone > select System updates > select Check for update.
MIUI 9 Features
Xiaomi has made this update to have “lightning fast” ROM capabilities to provide its users with fast app launches. It also includes several new features, such as:
- Image Search
- Smart App Launcher
- Smart Assistant
This isn’t the full list of new features as there are many performance updates that are included in the new MIUI 9 ROM update. If you’d like to learn more, check out the Mi 5, Mi 5s, and Mi 5s Plus or the MIUI 9 update on Xiaomi’s site.
Installing MIUI 9
As a quick note, make sure that you back up your device before updating as the process in this article will wipe your data. With that in mind, let’s move forwards.
Before beginning, make sure that:
- You currently have MIUI 8 on your phone
- You need an unlocked bootloader if you install MIUI 9 through Fastboot mode
- Make sure Xiaomi USB drivers are installed onto your computer
- Keep the battery power above 75% to avoid any unnecessary power-offs
- Have USB debugging enabled
You can download the file you need by selecting one of the links on the list below depending on the type of device you have.
When installing, you can choose to use Recovery ROM to install it directly through your updater app or Fastboot ROM, where you will need a specific Mi Flash Windows application to run it.
This is a very easy process and works for any of the Mi 5 devices.
1. Have the MIUI 9 file downloaded and saved onto your device’s internal storage.
2. Open your app drawer and launch the “Updater” app.
3. Tap on the menu in the top right corner of the screen and select “Choose update package.”
4. Choose the MIUI 9 Recovery File and confirm it. The flashing process will begin immediately, and your phone will boot up using MIUI 9 when it comes back on.
Fastboot ROM for the MI 5s
This currently only works the Mi 5s and it also requires a few more steps than recovery mode.
1. Download and install Mi Flash Tool.
2. Download MIUI 9 Fastboot ROM onto your computer.
3. Turn off your smartphone and boot it into Fastboot mode. This is done when you power it back on and press/hold the “Volume Down” and power buttons simultaneously.
4. Connect it to your computer, launch the Mi Flash tool, and enter in the MIUI 9 ROM path into the address bar.
5. Select “Refresh” to confirm the connection and click on “Flash” to start the flashing process. Once it is done, your device will open in MIUI 9.
The new MIUI 9 ROM system is meant to improve your phone’s app launch speed and improve its general quality. This simple process to download it onto your phone should be relatively quick and painless.
If you experience any problems, let us know or contact your local Xiaomi tech support.