Powered with Qualcomm MSM8996 Snapdragon 820 chipset along with Dual-core 1.8 GHz Kryo & dual-core 1.36 GHz Kryo processor, Xiaomi Mi 5 is so far the real beast among all Xiaomi’s flagship phones. However, just like many other Android phone, this beast can also sometimes stuck in bricked state for whatever the reason is. Moreover, some bricked states can be so daunting and fixing through Fastboot mode can sometimes be not enough. In that case, you may need to enter Emergency Download mode or shortly EDL mode.
For you who are looking for a way to reboot Mi 5 into EDL mode, below are three possible methods to boot Mi 5 running MIUI7 or MIUI8 into EDL mode. By putting your phone into download mode, you can then flash either stock ROM or custom ROM on it. Nevertheless, please proceed carefully. We hold no responsibility of any damage happens to your phone as a result of following this guide.
- A Mi 5 device.
- A USB cable – just use the one shipped with your phone.
- Enable Developer Options on your phone. Doing so is easy. Just go to Settings >>About phones >> tap on the MIUI Version 7 times. You can skip this step if you have it enabled previously.
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone. Go to Settings >> Additional Settings >>Developer Options >> enable USB Debugging.
- A Windows-based computer.
- Download and install either ADB USB Drivers or Mi PC Suite – if you haven’t done it yet.
- Download Minimal Fastboot & ADB Files.
Option #1 – ADB Method :
- When your phone is still turned on in normal mode, connect it to your computer. Just use its USB cable.
- Launch up command prompt window in a folder of where the Minimal Fastboot Files are located. Doing so s easy : Simply press the Shift button on your keyboard and right-click anywhere in that folder, then choose “Open Command Window from here“.
- Type this command :
adb reboot edl
Option #2 – Fastboot Method :
- Reboot your phone into Fastboot Mode by pressing Volume Down (-) and Power buttons simultaneously until you have seen Mi Bunny Fastboot logo.
- Connect your phone to your computer through its USB cable.
- Launch up command prompt window in a folder of where the Minimal Fastboot Files are located. Doing so is easy : Simply press the Shift button on your keyboard and right-click anywhere in that folder, then choose “Open Command Window from here“.
- Execute this command :
fastboot oem edl
Option #3 – Hard Keys Combination Method :
- Turn off your phone.
- Connect your USB cable to your PC USB port but do not connect the other end of the cable to your phone yet.
- Press both Volume Up (+) and Volume Down (-) keys all together and then plug the USB cable to your phone (while still holding down both Volume keys. Therefore it will be connected to your PC.
- Your PC will start recognizing your device ad it will eventually be in EDL mode.
Your PC will recognize your device as “Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008.” Now you have to download and install the drivers.
Enjoy.. and we really expect at least one of above methods will work on your phone.
Update: this should not work on MIUI 7.3.x.x because Xiaomi has disabled EDL function since that version.