Redmi Note 3 is released in two variants : the one powered with MediaTek Helio X10 and another one powered with Qualcomm Snapdragon 650. There are many tutorials already explaining on how to root, flash recovery or even apply some tweaks on its Snapdragon variant. On the other hand, since its MediaTek variant is released originally for China markets, the phone has not as much as its brother has. We have posted a guide to root Redmi Note 3 MediaTek (RN3MTK) in the previous post. Now, it is another tutorial on how to root this MediaTek-based MIUI phone easily using a root app (.apk) without TWRP or any other custom recovery.
- A Windows-based computer either laptop or PC;
- Redmi Note 3 MTK variant;
- A USB cable to connect your phone to PC;
- Make sure your phone bootloader is unlocked officially;
- Download MIUI Fastboot ROM .tgz file (any MIUI version will do, but make sure you have correct ROM for your device which is Hennesy and not for the Snapdragon / Kenzo);
- Download SP Flash Tool, the MediaTek Flashing Tool;
- Download Redmi Note 3 MTK Root App (.apk).
- Download Classic Root package file for Redmi Note 3 MTK – or via this link.
How to root
Step 1 – 8 – Please follow Step 1 until Step 8 from previous tutorial but do not use KingRoot afterwards.
Step 9 – Once you have flashed the fastboot ROM onto your phone, reboot your phone.
Step 10 – Transfer the Redmi Note Root App .apk into your phone.
Step 11 – Install “Root Redmi Note 3” .apk file.
Step 12 – That’s it. You’ll have your phone rooted once the app has been installed successfully.
The steps might sound simple but it’s a slightly complicated process. The method and the root app was discovered by Nguyentankiet, so thanks and credits belong to him. However, neither him and I is responsible for any damage caused by this method. Please make sure you have created full nandroid backup before proceeding. Flashing modified ROM and rooting may void your phone warranty. So be careful and have fun!