The Xiaomi Mi Max 2, as well as the Redmi Note 4, will be among the first of Xiaomi’s smartphones to get the update to MIUI 9 ROM. This update has already rolled out over-the-air, so if you own either device, you should expect to see an update soon if you have not already.
The Mi Max 2 can now update to MIUI 188.8.131.52 NDDMIEI. This update is about 535MB, so make sure your phone storage is not full before proceeding with the update.
The current update is being rolled out in phases, which means some users will have to wait to see the update in their notification bars. However, if you would like to get the new update right away, there is a simple way to do this.
Get the Update without Notification
If you have not received a notification about the update yet, you can manually check for an update on your phone. Simply go to your Settings and select About Phone. Here you should be able to see an option to select System updates and then to select Check for update.
MIUI 9 Features
Xiaomi has made this update because it is meant to have “lightning fast” ROM capabilities to provide fast app launches. It also includes several new features, such as the following:
- Image Search
- Smart App Launcher
- Split Screen Mode
This isn’t the full list of new features nor their explanations, as some speak for themselves while others are far more “under the hood” then these changes. If you’d like to learn more, check out the Mi Max 2 or MIUI 9 update on Xiaomi’s site.
Installing MIUI 9
As a quick note, make sure that you back up your device before updating as the process in this article will wipe your data. With that in mind, let’s move forwards.
Before beginning, make sure that:
- You currently have MIUI 8 on your phone
- You need an unlocked bootloader if you install MIUI 9 through Fastboot mode
- Make sure Xiaomi USB drivers are installed onto your computer
- Keep the battery power above 75% to avoid any unnecessary power-offs
- Have USB debugging enabled
You can download the MIUI 9 ROM here. When installing, you can choose to use Recovery ROM, which installs it directly through an updater app, or Fastboot ROM, which needs a specific Mi Flash Windows application.
This is a relatively simply process.
1. Have the MIUI 9 file downloaded and save it onto your device’s internal storage.
2. Open your app drawer and launch the “Updater” app.
3. Tap on the menu in the top right corner of the screen and select “Choose update package.”
4. Choose the MIUI 9 Recovery File and confirm it. The flashing process will begin immediately after and your phone will boot into MIUI 9 when it comes back on.
This requires a few more steps than recovery mode, but works just as well.
1. Download and install Mi Flash Tool.
2. Download MIUI 9 Fastboot ROM onto your computer.
3. Turn off your smartphone and boot it into Fastboot mode. Power it back on and press/hold the “Volume Down” and power buttons.
4. Connect it to your computer, launch the Mi Flash tool, and enter in the MIUI 9 ROM path into the address bar.
5. Select “Refresh” to confirm the connection and click on “Flash” to start the flashing process. Once it is done, your device will open in MIUI 9.
The new MIUI 9 ROM system is meant to improve your phone’s app launch speed and improve its general quality. This simple process to download onto your phone should be relatively quick and painless.
If you experience any problems, let us know or contact your local Xiaomi tech support.