The same way you would want to have a totally new experience of your Personal Computer by changing to a new operating system, is actually the tentative meaning of flashing a custom ROM. On a light note, a custom ROM is an android build made customarily and actually developed from the underlying android code. This capability is powered by the AOSP that is the Android Open Source Program. Just to explain what flashing a custom ROM means, it fundamentally means having to load a new version of android into your phone thereby creating a totally different and new look including experience in your phone. The Custom ROM is the whole android operating system customarily developed by the ROM builder. In order for you to successfully flash a new custom ROM to your phone, you first need to root your device, which makes you enjoy explicit developer’s rights of the phone. The
Are various applications used for rooting android devices? Some of which include: king root, kingo root and many others.
Meaning of Fastboot Explained
After flashing your phone, you might need to update your flash file systems in your devices. This is where we come to talk about fastboot. Fastboot is actually used to re-flash some partitions in your android device. Fastboot comes with the Android Software Developer Kit that is an option to the popularly known as the Recovery Mode used for performing installations and updates in android devices. There is a very big difference between fastboot and recovery mode. In recovery mode, basing our argument on Xiaomi phones, entails when you establish a connection between your phone and PC and makes use of a flash tool. In this option you as the user have the option to either clear up your user data or save them for future use.
Take note that not every phone can load or has fastboot mode that can be accessibly reached by the phone user. Nexus devices turn on the fastboot mode by default, similarly to other countable phones and tablets. This feature is made workable by the independent android developers on other phones.
Why Do You Need Fastboot?
Using fastboot is as simply as connecting a Universal Serial Bus Cable and modifying you file from your computer. When using the fastboot you are capable of modifying the system image files from your computer simply via a USB cable connection between your phone and your PC. Interestingly, even without installing Android in your phone, the fastboot mode can load and as well start your device even before the present android build loads. This ability places the fastboot mode as the most useful tool for quickly updating the phone firmware without actually having to make your way to the recovery mode. Using fastboot is the method that is mostly preferred by most people due to the quickness and simplicity in it. Most people use it to flash the image files in to the internal memory of the phone. As soon as you are good to go, boot your phone to fastboot mode and you can now comfortably flash your image files to the internal storage of your phone or tablet. Remember to adhere to the various do’s and don’ts of flashing your device to avoid messing up completely and going back to the shop to get a new phone. Note some of the important keys such as using the very specific custom ROM for your phone, for compatibility reasons. In most cases, fastboot mode is used when you encounter bugs and issues and on bricked phones.
For instance, the Mi flash tool is compatible with all the Xiaomi smartphones namely Mi 4i, Mi 4, Mi Note, Mi4c, Redmi Note 2, Redmi 1S, Redmi 3G/4G, Mi 3, Redmi Note 3G/4G are compatible with the flashiong process that will be discussed below
How Do You Enter the Fastboot Mode?
Just to emphasize, not every phone has an accessible fastboot mode. Some are not easily accessible by the user. Before beginning the whole process, start by confirming that your device has a fastboot mode. In addition, the fastboot mode needs the Android Software Developer Kit, and varying USB drivers for windows computers.
In order to enter the fastboot mode, you are first of all required to turn off your phone or tablet and ensure it is completely off. Afterwards you need to simultaneously press and hold down the power button and the volume down button. Keep an eye on the device and once the device starts you release the power button as you continuously hold on to the volume down button as you observe the phone screen. You will only release the volume down button when you have seen the bootloader appearing. Then using the volume keys, you can scroll through the menu and use the power key to select the fastboot option which would place you in the fastboot mode.
The Mi Flash Tool
Coming in varying versions, the Mi flash tool can be downloaded from the internet both from the main Xiaomi site and other sites that have the download link. What the Mi flash tool allows you to do is to clash the stock firmware or rather fastboot files on the various Xiaomi Mi phones. In a nutshell I will discuss a few characteristics of the Xiaomi flash tool so that you would a rough idea of what you will expect when looking to download the Mi flash tool powered by the Xiaomi Company.
Some of The Main Features Include
It features inbuilt drivers. Meaning you do not need to go back searching and downloading drivers for the Mi flash tool. When you download a flash tool you are expected to as well download the various USB drivers. Fortunately enough, the Mi flash tool comes with it built in drivers which include the Google ADB tool and drivers, the qualcomm USB serial driver and the Microsoft MTP and RNIDS driver.
Secondly, it comes with an inbuilt installer which insinuates that you need to install it in your computer for you to use it in your computer. After downloading the flash tool, and installing it you will realize it comes an ADB tool, a Mi tool and Drivers.
Finally, you can multiply have flashing choices. When in the flashing mode, you will have three various options to choose from. One being flash all except storage, another one is flash all and finally flash all except data and storage. Flash all except storage is the main flashing option used to flash most Xiaomi devices.
Simplicity is a stronghold when it comes to using the Mi flashing tool. One would easily enjoy using the software only if it has some sense or simplicity, which is proudly owned by the Mi flash tool. This is where you will rarely find the annoying advertisements popping on your screen except the Chinese font which will only be understood by by few.
The good thing about the Mi flash tool, is it comes with its local back up. If you are firmly decided that you want to flash your phone or tablet, ensure you have created a backup for you information and data. You can use the Mi local back up to store the vital information in order to avoid losses. When you have created a backup, you are ready to go.
Lastly, the Mi flash tool allows you to either downgrade or upgrade you phone. You can upgrade it to a new version of android and as well you can downgrade it to a lower android version.
How to Use Mi Flash Tool to Flash Fastboot ROM On Xiaomi Phones
When using the Mi flash tool to flash your phone or tablet, there is a specific procedure that you are required to use in order to successfully flash your Xiaomi phone. Remember when flashing your phone, you need to strictly adhere to the rightful procedures in order to successfully flash your phone and enjoy a totally new look in your phone. Apart from a totally new look, you will experience a prolonged battery life and explicit features as well.
- Procedurally, you need to download the MIUI 7 fastboot ROM by clicking here. You will have downloaded it to your personal computer. You will then be required to extract it to your desktop.
- After you have extracted the fastboot ROM, now you can download the Mi flash tool and install it in your personal computer.
- There are a few requirements that you need to meet in order to successfully install the Mi flash tool in your computer. You should have installed the .NET framework version 3.5; otherwise it would not be successfully installed. In case you have not installed the .NET framework version 3.5, you can download it from the web.
- Run the Mi flash tool as an administrator in your pc by double clicking the exe. File. It will directly welcome you in a dialogue box where you will be required to press next in order to continue or cancel if you want to cancel the installation.
- The following step is the installation folder which shows you the default installation path which can be as well customized to create a totally modified installation path. If you are comfortable with the provided installation path, click next and proceed with the installation process.
- The installation wizard will give you a confirmation request where you are expected to either choose next if you are moving on with the installation process and back if you need to correct one or two things and cancel if you do not want to continue with the installation process.
- Sit back relax and enjoy seeing your machine as it completes the installation process.
- In a few minutes of execution, Mi flash tool will be fully installed in your computer and you are ready to take a tour. You can now directly use the flash tool to flash your phone. At this point, you are ready to flash fastboot ROM into your smartphone.
- The next step you should select the specific folder that contains the ROM from the desktop
- Turn off your phone or tablet and use the power button and volume button to get to the fastboot mode as described earlier.
- If you have successfully switched to the fastboot mode, you are good to go. Now use a USB cable to connect your phone or tablet with your Personal computer or laptop.
- Open your flash tool and keep refreshing the interface until you see the connected phone or tablet.
- When you have noticed the connected phone, as stated earlier, you will have three different options to choose from, namely:
- Flash all except data and storage which excludes the built in storage data hence does not clear the users’ data.
- Flash all option does not spare any data or configuration. It wipes away all user data and leaves no trace. If you dare go for this option, please back up your important data to avoid losses.
- The last option that you have is flash all except storage. This option will do away with the available user data and actually leave the built in storage.
- At this juncture, you are ready to go. Click on the flash and witness the flashing process begins.
- Wait as you sit back, relax and enjoy seeing your device being transformed to a newer or older version, depending on which direction you had channeled the flashing.
To finish up, you can be sure to have totally changed look of your phone when you are done flashing it. When flashing your device do not forget to create a backup of your data. On the other had remembered to make use of a reliable source of data and information in order to reduce the risk that your phone will be exposed to during the flashing process. Using reliable information or source will save you a great deal in the cost of buying or having to repair some parts expensively.